Monday, October 20, 2008

I Love Fall in Virginia


Fall in Virginia is so beautiful, I love it! This is the best time of year (in my opinion) and I feel so lucky to be able to enjoy it at home with Nick! I think Nick loves it too. It has taken a turn toward the chilly lately (finally) and Nick loves being outside. Its so cute, he will want to go outside first thing in the morning when we let Abby out and he doesn't understand why he can't go out and play at 7am in the 40-50 degree weather.

Two weekends ago we attended a birthday party for Nick's friend Emma. This party was at the Little Gym. The party format was very similar to the Romp and Roll party with high school kids leading the festivities and music, jumping, climbing, balls and balloons. I think Nick loosened up earlier at this party (than the first one) and he really loved the jumpy bouncy thing when they turned on the bubble machine and played music. He hasn't really figured out jumping yet, but he's trying. He also had pizza, again, and also ice cream cake. It was his first encounter with ice cream, and he loved it. Good thing because I love ice cream too.
Bill's parents visited that weekend as well, and this time Nick warmed up to both Bill and Francine much more quickly which I was very happy about. Nick is still slightly standoffish at first but after 10 or 15 minutes he relaxes and starts interacting more and more.
Nick had his 18 month check up one week ago Monday and he did great. He gained a pound and grew almost an inch since our last appointment. He freaked out again when the stethoscope came out. I don't know what it is, he cried harder when the doc listened to his heart than when he got his immunizations. There was an intern with the doctor during the checkup and even though Nick wouldn't smile at our doctor, he kept catching the eye of the intern and smiling, it was pretty funny. And, no surprise but Nick is cutting at least 4 new teeth right now, which is why there are wet spots in all the pictures of him! I can't wait until this round of teething is over!

We got some great news last week regarding day care, we were able to secure a spot at my first choice spot! I am so happy and relieved. In the end, I realized I wasn't sure about my second choice, and although I really like the place where the little boy tried to take Nicks Lightning McQueen shoe off, it wasn't very convenient for us. One more thing I can mark off the list. I go back to work in about 4 weeks and didn't want to be up in the air too much longer.

On Thursday last week Nick met my Dad and Gretel (my stepmom). They live in Richmond for half the year and just returned. It was wonderful to see them and Nick interact. True to form, Nick was a bit shy at first but by the end of the visit was trying to give Gretel Ritz cheese sandwiches. He also dressed up in his extra special pirate outfit that Grandma Francine gave him. Very cute!



This past weekend we had our neighborhood Fall Festival. They do a fabulous job with this and I think as Nick gets older it will only become better and better for him. The petting zoo was the highlight, for sure. Nick actually touched the baby goats, bunny rabbits and horse! YAY! He also picked out a pumpkin to take home. But, of course, the camera battery died after about 5 pictures in the petting zoo so we have none of the pumpkin. Whoops!






















And, now for a few random pictures!











7 comments:

Jenny and Randy said...

What an adorable, great big grin Nick has in these photos! It sounds like everyone is doing well and enjoying life together!

Lori said...

I really love reading your blog. It keeps all the "out of town" relatives updated!!
So glad you all are doing so well.
Thanks for sharing pictures. It's great to see all his cute expresssions.
Give him hugs from Phoenix.
God Bless,
Lori
www.mirrorx2.blogspot.com

Carey and Norman said...

Very cute photos.

Glad to hear Nick has gained weight and has grown since your last doctor's visit. We saw the growing, but only recently saw the weight gain.

Isn't it fun when our children finally start eating pizza and ice cream? I never thought we'd get past chicken legs ;o)

Disha said...

Nick is getting adorable by the day...can't wait to see him again!

Peg said...

Great pictures! He just looks so happy all the time; he seems to like the camera and it sure likes him!

The one with the Sierra Nevada box in the background is particularly nice :)

Love to all...can't wait to see you!
Bill...I wish you could come too...we will miss you!
Peg

Troy and Rachel said...

What cute photos! I love the outfit he got! That's great that he has grown so quickly and gained a pound! Can't wait to see you all this weekend!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Nick is such a cute little guy! It sounds like he is growing well, too. He is very close to our little boy's age, too, and I'm sure your're seeing him do so many cute things right now!

Congratulations on getting into the daycare that your preferred!