This entry is not going to be about the adoption, although I can't promise that I won't mention it in passing, and in this first paragraph. I am boycotting any extended discussion of the status right now because I have no new information except that the expedited ($$$) Visas we received last week in anticipation of travelling soon (?) may not be correct. I won't bore you with the details but please say a prayer for us that we don't have to shell out another big chunk of money to get new ones.
Early this year I decided that I was going to try to do the Richmond Marathon in November 2008. I am no great runner, nor am I even mediocre. I'm really slow but have pretty good endurance. Running a Marathon is something I've always wanted to do and I thought this year would be a good time because next year we'd probably be completing the adoption. The good news is that the adoption should happen this year. Now I need to figure out whether I'll be able to do the Marathon in November or not. Aside from the lifestyle changes that will occur with a little one joining the family, I have had some recent training issues.
In anticipation of starting Marathon training in May, I signed up for the Rock 'N Roll 1/2 Marathon in Virginia Beach over Labor Day. I did this last year with my friend Maria and thought it would be fun, and good timing in terms of training for the Marathon. Training for the 1/2 Marathon should have begun in June and training for the Marathon in November should have begun in May.
So, have I started training? Not really, not like I need to. My problem is that I have a self diagnosed myself with a strained achilles tendon in my left leg. No, I haven't been to the doctor about it and I don't know for sure if this is what is wrong, but I am treating this ailment. Nice, huh. My treatment is that I didn't run for the first 3 weeks of June, ice my leg regularly, and take Motrin sometimes. Prior to my diagnosis I had been running 3 - 4 times a week, about 3 miles a day and then 5 - 10 miles one day/week for my long run.
I had originally planned to stop running up to and throught the trip back to Russia, but I couldn't do it. I had to start back. Running helps me deal with stress and I needed a release for all the anxiety that I've been feeling recently.
I started back last Saturday and it went pretty well. My foot/heel/ankle hurt slightly for the first 2 blocks and then it loosened up and felt pretty good. The big test was whether I'd be able to walk on it without limping on Sunday morning. I could. I was happy. Since then I've been out twice. On each subsequent run, my foot/heel/ankle hurt for the first few blocks and then felt pretty good. My dilemma is whether I should continue or not. I know the leg is not normal and don't think its completely healed, but its better than it was before I stopped for 3 weeks and running is helping my stress levels. Thats good, right? I'm going to try to go for a long run Saturday to see how it does. Hopefully this isn't a bad idea.
I'm not any closer to figuring out the Marathon question. I think in the end it comes down to two options, 1) an extended period off the leg, thus missing training and stress reducing runs and potentially not being ready in time for the distance, or 2) running half injured, potentially creating a chronic condition, and not being ready in time for the distance. These are not good options, but if there is really a problem 1) is better than 2). I guess its time to see the doctor and have a professional help me figure out what is wrong and what I can do about it. Maybe there is an option 3) that I don't know about!
Thats it for now, I'll update if I hear anything of interest regarding the adoption!
3 years ago