Tuesday, November 25, 2008

OK, where were we?

The last two weeks have pretty much been a blur. I expected this would happen once I returned to work. Its like starting back over with a new routine. And now, we've done it for enough days that Nick realizes it isn't just a temporary thing.

I think the last time I posted, I was kind of upset that Nick wasn't getting upset when I dropped him off in the morning. I know that sounds messed up, its just that he seemed to care less that I was leaving him for 8 hours. That all changed last Thursday morning when Nick was slightly clingy and didn't want me to leave. Friday he cried when I left, and this week on both Monday and Tuesday he became very upset as soon as I took his coat off. His teachers tell me that he calms down after about 5 minutes, but it still breaks my heart. Hopefully, he will quickly move past this stage and come to grips with the reality that I'm going to leave, he will have fun with his teachers and friends for several hours, and then I'll come back to get him and we'll go home and have fun.

That just tells you about drop offs in the morning, we have had equally trying times at pick up. The minute I walk in, Nick starts signing for a snack/drink (I can barely tell the difference between his signs). I asked the teachers about the afternoon snack and they say they get it around 4:30. Maybe he isn't eating it, or it isn't enough, I don't know. I do know that it seems that Nick is starving by the time I get there, usually between 5:30 and 5:45. It took me 3 days to figure out that I need to have a snack to give him in the car because if I don't he is going to fight getting into his carseat. It took me 15 minutes one day last week to get him into his car seat. He is really strong and was really fighting it.

Today, we had our first "sick" call. I got a call from Daycare telling me that Nick had thrown up while playing outside and we needed to pick him up within the hour. I was surprised because Nick had a great morning before Daycare, and didn't seem to be feeling bad at all. In addition, he had never full out thrown up since we've had him. He has spit up, but hasn't thrown up, at least not by my definition. Anyway, I called Bill because I had an afternoon of meetings and a project deadline. Luckily Bill was able to leave work for the afternoon and pick Nick up. Nick seems fine now, and we think something just didn't agree with him, or he may have overdone it on the snack. Hopefully he will be fine tomorrow and for the holiday weekend.

We are really looking forward to our first Thanksgiving with Nick. We have so much to be thankful for this year, and are excited to spend it with both our families. Thanksgiving day we'll go to my sister Jill's house with Carl and our nephews Josh and Sam, and my dad and stepmom, Oma Gretel. On Friday we'll head to Wintergreen where Bill's family and close friends are celebrating, maybe we'll have snow!

Happy Thanksgiving All!

6 comments:

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

It is so hard to go back to work. I also work full time, and putting S in daycare was so hard for me. I understand why you want him to be a little upset when you leave, but at the same time, you hate to leave him crying. It does sound like he has great attachment to you all! I hope he is feeling better and that you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Carey and Norman said...

I agree with Carrie that going back to work is very hard. It takes time to get back into a normal routine and feel good about your decisions. Once they begin learning colors, letters, etc. and see their art projects, you realize how much they love their school/daycare program and it makes going to work much easier. Will pray for you during the transition as it only natural for us as mothers to worry about our children.

MaryRooks said...

Oh, I like the new site. It looks great! It was wonderful to see you all over Thanksgiving. Be glad you left on Saturday. Sunday morning we woke up to an ice storm! Nick is adorable. Dan & I were so happy to spend time with you, Bill & Nick. He is absolutely adorable. Looking forward to seeing you over the holidays! Love, Dan & Mary

Ron and Dinia said...

Hey!

Loved the new look on the blog. Of course, you also have great material to work with. I was just thinking about you guys this week as I am using one of the photos you took on our Christmas letter. What a great holiday season this will be for you

Love and prayers

Dinia and Ron

Troy and Rachel said...

Daniel also asks for a drink as soon as I pick him up. He doesn't eat or drink as much in day care4 as he does at home. Daniel has also been sick since starting day care also and some of it is the adjustment to the foods they serve etc. Nick will get used to being dropped off in the morning and he'll soon realize that your always coming back. Daniel leaves me with barely a glance now in the mornings, but in the afternoons he makes up for it by running and leaping into my arms!! Hoping your new job is going well.

Shane & Marie said...

Going back to work was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. Bryson didn't cry the first day which hurt me a little. The next day was a different story. He will stop crying for you eventually. You just love those sick calls, don't you. There will be lots more. That is one of things about them being in daycare. Bryson is also hungry when I pick him up. I have a snack trap I bring with me everyday when I pick him up and it is like our little ritual. Hang it there, it gets easier.