Monday, December 15, 2008

Tis the Season!

I love the holidays but boy am I behind this year. I usually start my shopping late, but this year, who knows when I'll even start. Plus, I am a notoriously bad shopper. I don't really have the patience for it and unless I know exactly what I want, I have a really hard time. So, I have been putting off starting the Christmas shopping. Yes, its true, I haven't bought gift number one. I am not especially proud of this, but I am not completing freaking out...yet. My main worry at the moment is my little neice in Seattle. I need to put her gift in the mail, like tomorrow. Wish me luck and if anyone has any ideas for a 6 year old girl, let me know!

I finally finished decorating the house, mainly. There are still a few finishing touches needed, but the tree is up and decorated, the stairs are done (last year I spent hours decorating the stairs ;-) and the village is lit. I wasn't allowing myself to blog until everything (decoration-wise) was taken care of, although it didn't stop me from reading everyone elses blogs.

Nick seems to be enjoying the season, although I don't think he really understands what is going on. He had a fun time going to get the Christmas tree and he likes looking at the lights. I am trying to get him in the spirit by playing Christmas carols and singing every morning while we get ready for the day and also on the way to school. He likes them, but I think to him they are just another bunch of songs.

We have taken Nick to a couple of Christmas parties with us. We made what I think is a rookie parent mistake of taking him to a very large open house at a friends home. This is an annual party that we have been to for a few years, and is very family friendly so we thought, lets take him. Bad idea. We stayed at this party for about 45 minutes tops. It was pretty much standing room only, so we couldn't really put Nick down. All the kids were upstairs, but there weren't any quite as young as Nick. So, between us Bill and I held him the whole time except for about 5 minutes. We had squirming, flying sippy cups and mini-tantrums before we threw in the towel. Next year, baby sitter.

Happy Holidays!

3 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Yes, Christmas is a little busier with toddlers. Everyone understands and would want you to bring Nick the first year anyways.

You will have to upload some pictures of your holiday decorations now that you are done!!

Nick is a cutie pie.

Troy and Rachel said...

Glad you had a good trip to Illinois minus the haircut!! I'm also glad Nick is enjoying the season. I am a terrible shopper too and only like to run in places to grab what I need. I'm so late this year, but I say we all have an excuse as first time parents!!

Ron and Dinia said...

Rachel is right. First year as parents to a toddler merit a Christmas break! Although, I seem to remember a really great shopper as Ismalava that might have set a record for market shopping:) For sure the only one that needed to make a trip to the car after lunch in order to deposit all the bags. What a fun day that was!!!