Sunday, June 22, 2008

I Couldn't Change the Station

I was on my way to work Friday morning, listening to NPR, when Story Corps came on. Story Corps is an independent nonprofit project whose mission is to honor and celebrate one another's lives through listening. It usually involves one or two people discussing one of their lives or an event in their lives. Sometimes I have to change the station when it comes on because it is so hard to listen to...translation, it makes me cry.

Well on Friday it caught my attention because it was a man talking about his experiences spent in an orphanage in Denver in the fifties. He talked about how back then prospective parents could check out a child from the orphanage like a library book, to see how the child would fit in to their family. He recounts that the only recollection he has of these trips to peoples homes was the trip to their home, in the front seat of the car, with the families trying to make him smile and laugh. And the trip back to the orphanage, sitting in the back seat, with no one speaking to him, feeling that they didn't like him, not knowing why. After one such trip he decided he never wanted to leave the orphanage again.

Heart-wrenching is what this story is. It was about this point in the story when I lost it, crying my eyes out for this child and the countless others. I couldn't change the station.

Luckily, there was a happy ending! When he was 5 he was adopted by a family that didn't take him home on a trial basis, they simply adopted him. He goes on to discuss finding the first two gifts his parents ever gave him in his mothers belongings when she died. More tears. If you'd like to hear the story I have included the link below. You may want to get a tissue first.

Click here to listen to: An Orphan's Adoption: 'And Away we Went'

Needless to say, the story got me thinking about our little guy and what he's thinking. Does he realize we're coming back as soon as we can? Does he look at the photo album we left for him? Does he listen to our voices in his bear, telling him we love him? I hope so. I hope they tell him every day that Mommy and Daddy will be back soon, and hopefully he understands this and hopefully he believes them.

Many people have said adoption isn't for the faint of heart and they weren't kidding. It's an emotional journey that will turn you inside out. But, in the end, when we're home with our son, it will all be worth it.

4 comments:

timhealy said...

I missed the segment you were talking about, but your note makes me want to listen (when I get home; crying at work won't support the hard-bitten image I'm trying to project). Crying on your behalf is the least I can do. That and keeping a positive attitude that you'll soon get the call.

Peg said...

Meg and Bill,
Well I didn't have to listen to the radio broadcast to start crying :)

My heart breaks for you every day that you don't hear...every day I wake up and think "this is day they will get the call!"

If not today...tomorrow for sure...be strong and keep the faith!

Love,
Peg

Troy and Rachel said...

I hope you hear news about your court date soon. It must be very hard not knowing when you are going back. Hang in there and we'll be praying you hear very soon.

Children's Hope International said...

I often think of how working with international adoption has changed my heart - it is such an emotional process and God was giving enough to let me share it with families, even if indirectly. It has stretched my heart in ways I didn't know existed.

I can only imagine how your own heart has been stretched. I hope knowing that there is a community that understands, even in part, how you feel gives you some strength. Beyond that, I hope you receive good news soon!

I'm glad you are running again, but hope your ankle keeps up.

Wishing you the best,
Jennifer N.