Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Doctors Appointment and Meeting Relatives

Once again, more time has passed than I would like between blogs. My goal is to blog every 2 or 3 days, I'm going to try to be better!

Thank you everyone for your kind and helpful comments on the last blog. I really appreciate everything that you all said and I am trying to not put too much pressure on myself, Bill or Nick. Also, after the first two days last week, things definitely improved through the end of the week.

The first thing is that Nick is not waking up at 4am any more, YAY! We are very happy about that. He is also settling into his schedule and has been averaging 11 hours of sleep each night and a total of about 3 hours of naps, twice a day. We are going to try to move him to one nap a day, probably in a few weeks.

We had Nick's first doctors appointment last Thursday. I was originally going to go alone, but after reading a few other blogs decided that going alone would be a big mistake (at least for the first visit), so thankfully Bill was able to go with us.

I was apprehensive about the visit because we had not interviewed the doctor prior to choosing him. We chose him based on recommendations from other families. Based on this first visit, I couldn't be happier with the Doctor and the practice. Our wait was minimal and the doctor didn't skimp at all on the time with us.

Nick wasn't too thrilled with the checkup. Its interesting because we had seen him examined twice in Russia and he didn't get upset at all. This time, he lost it when the stethescope came out and basically fought the whole process. I think the difference is that the doctors in Russia could talk to him and comfort him about what they were doing, whereas now he didn't really understand. The good news is that it was over fairly quickly.

After the checkup and all our questions, we waited a few minutes prior to having Nick vaccinated. The doctor suggested that we start over on the vaccinations because of not having 100% knowledge of the quality of the vaccinations already administered, etc. Nick did really well during the shots, much better than he did during the checkup. It helped that the nurse was very skilled and quick as lightening with the shots. This week I'll be taking him to have blood drawn for all the tests that we're having done. I am not looking forward to this at all! The nurse told me it would be about 5 vials of blood, YIKES!.

Bill's family visited over the holiday weekend. Everyone came Saturday afternoon so we had a full house with his Francine (mom), Bill (dad), Mary (sister) and Dan (brother in law). Nick was a little standoffish at first but did warm up to everyone throughout the weekend. Aunt Mary and Uncle Dan both spent alot of time playing with Nick and I know he loved it! Bill's mom brought Nick tons of gifts from family friends, co-workers, and relatives. Thanks everyone, cards are coming, I promise!

We had a fun time with everyone spending time with Nick and also catching up with the family. Mary brought the most awesome lasagne and Francine brought a yummy seafood casserole so that Bill and I wouldn't have to worry about cooking, this was really great! We also had a chance to teach everyone how to play Killer Bunnies, which was alot of fun and will hopefully make an appearance during future beach trips.

My one regret from the weekend is that I did not take any pictures, I don't know what I was thinking! Clearly I wasn't thinking. I'll have to take double next time we all get together.

On Sunday we also had a visit from my dear friend Christine and her daughters Nicole and Kelly. It has been at least a year since I've seen Christine and a few years since seeing the girls. It was great to catch up with them and see what lovely young women Nicole and Kelly have become. Nick flirted with all 3 of our visitors and I was really glad Nicole and Kelly were here to help set up the pet clinic they brought for Nick.

After our busy weekend we're settling back into our quiet days. I hope everyone out there had a great weekend. I can't believe that summer is basically over! Wow.

4 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Glad your doctor's visit went well, and you liked the doctor and the practice. I know it is hard for them to be poked and proded by a complete stranger who doesn't speak their language. You just have to tell yourself that all children have to go through this and it is better than them getting sick. It is hard when the crocodile tears come, I know.

As for your previous post, I agree with many of the comments that it just takes time to settle into parenthood. As you learn your child and they learn you, it gets easier and you will look like a pro. All new mothers go through this transition.

Don't get frustrated as you are doing well! Many prayers coming your way!

Ron and Dinia said...

Meghan,

I think about you guys often and wonder how you are doing! You and Bill are so special and such wonderful parents! Nick will bless your lives and you will be a blessing in his life. All the best!

Jane and Jim said...

I just found your blog from Becky's... your little man is precious!!!
I CAN'T BELIEVE that we have chosen the SAME EXACT SONG by The The (This is the Day) for our little film! Did you know that song from the 80's?? or did you just discover it from the m&m commercials? I just love it and used to dance to it in college! This is too funny! The The is one of my favorite groups. I hope you won't think I'm copying when I use it too!
We are in the between stages of the trips. Hopefully we'll go to court in Oct. or Nov. to pick up our little kiddos.
Glad to meet you!
Jane

Shane & Marie said...

It's great to hear that he is doing so well and that he did great with all the visitors. Sounds like he is already a spoiled little boy. The doctors visits are stressful but it makes a difference when you love your doctor. We just recently switched to one I adore!