Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Imposter Mom

This is hard, period. I knew it would be. But, all in all, its harder than I thought it would be, on many different levels. My hat is off to all those moms out there who make motherhood seem so easy and effortless.

We have had a tough 2 days to begin the week. Nick is generally pretty happy in the mornings and his most unhappy time is after nap two, prior to dinner. Yesterday, he was fussy most of the day. I have come up with five things I think could be contributing to the fussiness (1) he is teething (2) his diet has changed tremendously and he's still getting used to it (3) he doesn't understand why dad comes and goes (4) he's still adjusting to the time change, and (5) this is regular toddler behavior. If I ever figure out what is going on, I'll definitely post it.

Now that we're home and getting to know each other better, there are some interesting things we've noticed about Nick.

Sleeping: No matter what time he goes to bed, he wakes up at 4am. Actual bedtime doesn't seem to have any impact on the 4am wakeup. Sometimes he'll fall back asleep on his own and wake later around 6am, other times he will cry and that usually leads to an hour of rocking before he'll go back to sleep. We have no idea why 4am, this doesn't coincide with a significant time in Russia in terms of his sleep. Hopefully this won't continue for much longer.

Eating: So far Nick will eat anything we put in front of him. We are very happy about this and hope the good apetite sticks around. I sometimes worry that we are feeding him too much. He almost always wants more of whatever he's eating, even after having a nice big portion. For now I'm going on the assumption that we can't over feed him and he'll stop when he's full, and I'm thankful that we don't have a non-eater.

Drinking: I'm not sure what to do about this one. Nick will chug the entire contents of his sippy cup whenever he gets it. So, if its snack time and I give him his water/juice he'll chug it till its gone, then he'll want more. The only time he won't chug it is if the water/juice ratio isn't to his liking, then he'll throw the sippy cup. I have tried to keep it out (and filled) to show him he can have it at any time, the problem is that he chugs it every time. Its like he's got a hole in his leg. If anyone has advice on this one I would greatly appreciate it.

Pooping: Hates it, hates it, hates it. For whatever reason, he often poops during meals. Maybe there is a biological reason for this, not sure. Anyway, he gets so upset, thrashes around and throws a fit. We try to be supportive to let him know its ok. Its so traumatic for him. It really makes me wonder what they did to him at the baby home. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but the highest respect for the caregivers, but between the pooping and the diaper changing I am at a loss.

Diapering: Hates it, hates it, hates it. As I have found through some rudimentary research, the diaper hatred is very common among PI (Post Institutionalized) children. Its such a struggle sometimes, and even harder if poop is involved. I am not skilled enough to change him standing up, which apparently has worked for some. Special toys work about 50% of the time. My latest thing is to sing to him when I'm changing his diaper or clothing. This has shown some promising results.

Music: Loves music, loves dancing, especially his jazz hands, which come out when the spirit (or the Wiggles) moves him. He is so funny to watch. He is getting more bold with swaying, turning circles, and even clapping sometimes.

Aside from learning about Nick, I'm also learning some things about myself. For one thing what its like to go from one day being a career oriented woman to the next day being a mom. I feel like an imposter mom, totally clueless and inadequate. Its really strange. I didn't feel like this in Russia at all, but these feelings have cropped up since we've been home.

For example, when strolling Nick through the neighborhood the other day, I felt so self-conscious. Like, it must be obvious that I don't know what I'm doing (should the sunshade be down, is my child strapped in tight enough, etc.) and that I might as well have a label on my forehead that says "adoptive mom". Isn't that messed up? Its very similar to the way I felt back when I got divorced (in the early 90's). I felt like it must be obvious that I was divorced and damaged in some way.

I find myself worrying about the most ridiculous things like, do I need one of those shopping cart covers, will people think I'm a bad mom if I just plop him in the cart, do I have the right stroller for the right purpose, is it adjusted properly, is my child dressed appropriately for the weather, and the list goes on and on.

So, I'm worried that I'm going to be compelled to start every new introduction with declaring that Nick has just come home with us from Russia. I don't, don't, don't want this to be the case. I don't want him to be the "adopted" kid with the neurotic mom. I hope I can get past these feelings and onto more productive thoughts. I just wondered if anyone else out there has felt like this?

I'm going to wrap it up for today because Nick should be waking up soon from his nap. I'll close with some recent pictures!

11 comments:

Susan said...

You are where I was at 4 months ago. I always felt like people would take one look at me and say, "newbie". I taught for 10 years and then one day I'm no longer working and I'm now a mom to a toddler. HUGE change for me. Every where I went in the beginning I felt like I had to explain to everyone that Artem "just came home 2 weeks ago" or "he's only been with us a month" until I finally figured out that I didn't owe anyone an explanation. It also didn't help that people would ask his name and as soon as they heard Artem, they would ask where we got the name from, etc, so that started all the adoption questions. Last week we went to dinner and the waitress asked us how old Artem was and said her son was 4 months younger and already talking a lot more than Artem. Usually we would say something about him only speaking English for 4 months but for the first time, both of us just smiled and said, "that's great for your son" and didn't give any explanation. I finally feel like I don't owe anyone a story and don't have to justify Artem to anyone. It will happen for you too, it will just take a little time.

As far as the eating and drinking, I think they are very typical PI behaviors. Artem used to eat us out of house and home. We would take him from the buffet kicking and screaming after 1.5 hours of straight eating. The IA doctor said let him eat and let him always have a snack cup of healthy snacks like Cheerios, which we were doing, and she said it would go away by 6 months and it has. He no longer eats until his stomach is overly bloated.

It will get better, I can attest to that and it's only been four months for us and I already have to go back and reread the blog at times to remember how it was when we came home b/c it already seems so long ago.

MaryRooks said...

Meg - I'm not a mom, so I don't have any words of advice on that front. That said, I do know you and I know Bill. I know that you two are wonderful loving people and you have so much to give to Nick. I'm sure you are doing a terrific job and I know that you are doing everything to give Nick a happy home and a healthy upbringing. You'll adjust and so will Nick. Hang in there and I can't wait to see you all this weekend!
Love, Mary

Cindy said...

Don't worry! I am wondering if I will have some major difficulties when I get my daughter home soon as far as eating/sleeping/potty, but you gotta think that mothers who gave birth were just as clueless. They didn't just automatically know what to do in any of the situations you are mentioning just because there was a biological connection. They had to learn and ask questions, too! Hang in there.

Cindy
Kansas City

Peg said...

Dearest Meg,
You need to give yourself a BIG BREAK...and don't think that birth parents have any magic parenting secrets either...it's all the same..."what have I gotten myself into" and "why didn't anyone tell me (us) it would be like this?

As Mary said, you guys are so well equipped to be awesome parents and you need to trust your instincts more and not believe everything you read (not that a little research is a bad thing). And, as Susan said, you don't owe anybody an explanation...just be proud parents of this beautiful little treasure.

Remember this is a process for you guys and Nick, and his life until now has be SO REGIMENTED...he will need to learn spontaneity and that will take time.

I think singing to him while you change him is a great solution...making chores (like diaper changing) fun and games will go a long way to reduce his anxiety.

Most of all...give yourself some time...you've been home less than a week. Just smother him with love, hugs and kisses and the rest will follow.

I hope I don't sounding preachy...I just don't you to feel inadequate in any way...remember you ROCK everything you do :)

Love,
Peg

Bill and Francine said...

Meg, you are certainly not an imposter, you are a caring, loving Mom who is experiencing motherhood in one big gulp. All Mom's go through this, just as others have said, birth mother's too. Peg is right trust yourself. I know that you and Bill are already great parents. Love Francine

Kelly Long said...

Meghan - You are not alone! I totally felt the way you do now and have no fear, time will ease these transition issues and you'll find a rhythm that works for you. It is VERY hard to go from career woman to Nick's mommy overnight so please try to be patient with yourself. The challenge of ths adjustment is not to be underestimated. It nearly derailed me a few times, but we make it through no matter how tough the day seems. Sleeping/eating etc. issues in newly adopted kids are not unusual either. Nathan had all of these issues as well as a HUGE fear of water. Bath time was a complete disaster for about 2 months. Now, the kid is a fish - swimming at the pool is one of his most favorite things. My advice is take a deep breath and try to take the pressure off yourself. Trust me, no one is looking at you and wondering about your tenure as a parent. At most, I think we parents observe one another to gather ideas about how to handle certain situations. Take heart, you are exactly what Nick needs you to be! Be well!!
~Heather

kim said...

Meg,
Welcome to motherhood!!! Pretty much every mom in the world has felt like an "imposter mom". As in, "Now that we're home from the hospital, is everyone really going to trust me alone with this child? Don't you know I have no idea what I am doing here?"
It's all natural and you will figure it out.
I love you and am cheering for you
Love,Kim
PS: whenever you find the solution to one dilemma, another one will follow. Just expect it

Christa said...

I was so concerned about Andrew's sleeping as well, but it does get better. I couldn't reconcile the wake up times to anything in Russia at all, either. I love your post - I have many of the same feelings :).

Troy and Rachel said...

OKeedokee - I was exactly the same as you with all the worries. As for the diaper issue - it gets better. I finally just had to let him cry while I changed him and once he realized I meant business, as in just ignoring the cry, and saying "We have to be all clean" (singing it woks too!) he gave it up.

With the juice we showed him how to "take a break" by doing it ourself also. It helped a little, but not much. He chugged his drink also, sometimes he stil does, but for the most part he's over it.

Sleep - Daniel woke at 5 am for a while. Finally I put 2 books (hard) in his bed and for the first mornings, he would wake and then fall back asleep. I would find him a few laters sound asleep with the books clutched in his hands, as if they were going to walk away. It worked - He did that a few more days, then just started sleeping it out and then playing in his crib when he did wake at 8 am!!

No magic answers, and I'm still figuring things out. Sometimes I come up with something finally to solve a problem and I kick myself for thinking how easy it was and wondering why I didn't think about it.

Remember also that kids tend to give their moms the toughest time!!

Tamara said...

First, your son is PRECIOUS! Wow ... what a cutie! Congratuations on bringing him home. It's so cool that we met in the MOE office on April 22 and now have both our kids home. I was so thrilled to see your post on FRUA that you brought your son home.

You are most certainly NOT an imposter mom. The first six weeks home will be the toughest of your life. Our son was SO dehydrated that he drank like mad at first. We just let him. Eventually he became hydrated and he knew that he didn't have to hoard .. there was more.

We haven't had the whole problem with BMs. Is is possible that he's having some kind of challenge that makes BMs uncomfortable? I think I read that someone else had this experience but can't remember what it turned out to be. Just something to consider.

Anyway, you're doing an amazing job! After staying with our two kidlets, my husband thinks working outside the home is FAR easier than being a SAH parent. It's tough but it will get better.

He's probably grieving the loss of the only place he ever knew. Even though it's certainly better at your house, it's not the baby home. OOh ... and teething can really make a toddler crabby. I have first hand experience with that (Mia had NO teeth when we picked her up). You might try some baby ibuprofen and see if that makes him more comfortable. It's really painful business to get teeth. Let me know if you need anything. Congratulations again and trust me, it will get better as y'all settle into your new version of 'normal'. Tamara

Cibele said...

This feeling of being totally clueless and inadequate is very familiar to me as well. You are doing a great job, you are a great mom!GIVE YOURSELF SOME TIME AND THINGS WILL FALL INTO PLACE, HUGS

YOUR SON IS ADORABLE