Saturday, August 9, 2008

4 days to Gotcha!

Wow, it seems like we've been here for a long time, but when I look at it in terms of the whole trip, we're only half way there. Its day 11 of the 23 day trip. The good news is that we've got just 4 days till Nick is coming home (well at least to our apartment) with us!

Today we spent the bulk of the day site-seeing at Novodevichiy with Ron and Dinia. The weather was really nice. It was right around 70 degrees and sunny all afternoon. Every day of no rain feels lucky around here. We started the day with lunch at a Georgian restaurant just off the lake at Novodevichiy. I think everyone really enjoyed their meals. Bill and I shared a cheese and spinach khachapuri which is like a sauceless pizza, sooooo good! And then Bill had Georgian cheese (a plate of sliced cheese) and we shared a meat and rice dolma wrapped in cabbage, also yummy. Ron and Dinia order a mushroom dish that they shared that was to die for and Ron also shared his Pork and potatoes. Everything was delicious!

After lunch we walked around the lake and saw so many brides. It was incredible. As I understand it, the tradition here is to get married in a civil ceremony and then the bride, groom and wedding party travel around the city having pictures made at all the famous landmarks. We had seen this before, here and there, especially when we were near the Kremlin. But today we must have seen 20 different brides coming and going for pictures around the lake. There were stretch limos with flowers all over the parking lot. It was really a spectacle.



We had a tour of the convent grounds and the cemetery. Learning the history of the convent, and about the various cast off wives that were sent there to become nuns was pretty interesting. The inside of the Cathedral of the Virgin of Smolensk was spectacular. We definitely saw our share of icons today. Bill took tons of pictures. I'm pretty sure he'll look back at some of them and wonder why, but I'm sure he'll have some good ones to share.



The cemetery was amazing. I couldn't believe the monuments that are in place for the people buried there. Our guide told us that to be buried in the cemetery there you have to be a celebrity. I asked whether being buried there is something you request, or something you get invited to do? I'm not sure she really understood what I was asking.

After our visit to Novodevichiy we drove to Sparrow Hills which I believe is the highest spot in Moscow. On one side is the Moscow University and on the other is a panorama view of the city (and some rickety looking ski jumps from the 1980 olympics). Once again, there were many brides having their pictures taken at this landmark.

We were worn out by the time we got home so we stayed in for dinner and watched the opening ceremony of the olympics. I think I'm coming down with something so hopefully I can resist whatever it is and shake it before we get Nick.

Have a great weekend all! We miss you!

2 comments:

Bill and Francine said...

Hope you are feeling better. Love the blogs. I also went to the convent when I was in Moscow in 1979, but then it was cold and there was snow on the grounds. When I watched the opening ceremony for the Olympics, I wondered if you had watched it.
I am so eager to see both you and Nicholas.
Love,
Tootie G

Kay Bratt said...

What beautiful pictures- good look on the Gotcha Day!

just hoppin' through...

Kay