Friday, August 8, 2008

Dancing on the Ceiling

How many of you remember the video of the Lionel Richie song, "Dancing on the Ceiling"? I must say I had forgotten its existence but they haven't on VH1 Classics, where we've actually had the pleasure? of seeing this video twice in the past two days. Its in the regular rotation. We've seen many other very old videos that seriously take me back to the beginnnig of MTV, I'll stop now before I completely date myself!

Today we started the day having coffee with my college friend Patricia. Patricia is the friend that I ran into unexpectedly on our first trip here, in the Munich airport. To read about our meeting here. She moved to Moscow in January with her husband and adorable little boy, Teddy. Patricia and her family are leaving for vacation this weekend and this would be our only time to meet up. It was great to see them again and they were soooo helpful with advice on things like where to buy baby food with English writing. (I had been freaking out a bit because when we checked out the baby food in our regular grocery all the writing was in Russian of course, and with the food allergies of Nick I was concerned about contents). Anyway, we've got the skinny of where to go and we checked it out on our way home from visiting Nick today. We should be good to go. We're sorry we won't be able to spend time with Patricia and family after we get Nick, but maybe the next time they make it to the states!

On the walk from the metro to the baby home I had an unfortunate incident where I was just walking along, minding my own business and suddenly my right foot hit a step up that I didn't see and I went flying, literally. I landed on my left knee, right elbow and my bag of baby stuff. My left shoe flew off in the opposite direction. I daresay it was probably pretty funny to watch, thankfully Bill didn't laugh, although he said he wished he had gotten a picture of me. I'm amazed that I didn't break anything and didn't rip any of my clothing. I have a few lovely bruises but other than that, and feeling pretty clumsy, I'm fine.

We visited Nick today for what we thought would be the last time before Gotcha day. One of the Russian families was visiting their baby today and they were in the "Locker Room" so we were sent outside. This was great for Nick but Bill and I could have used some warmer clothes. This is kind of funny, to take Nick outside they had us put him in knit leggings over his courdoroy overalls, a heavy sweater over his long sleeved shirt, a big coat and a hat. He was so bundled up he could hardly stand from a sitting position, poor guy!

There wasn't really anything new today, except Nick was doing alot more imitations of sounds and faces. It was pretty funny seeing him imitating the funny faces Bill was making. We played more with the train and the stacking and sorting cups. We are having a hard time getting Nick to the baby sign language for "More" now. Go figure. I think that will be easier to teach, along with many of the other signs, when we have him with us full time.

We got a bit of disappointing news today. Apparently the court decree for the adoption goes into effect Tuesday which means we can't pick Nick up until Tuesday. We don't know why it doesn't say Monday, because Monday is the 11th day of the 10 day wait. When we try to ask questions and push the process we get extremely vague answers. Its pretty frustrating. So, we won't be visiting Nick tomorrow, but will visit one more time on Monday and then pick him up for Gotcha Day on Tuesday.

We ate dinner tonight at Shesh Besh. We didn't like it as much as Kish Mesh (the two are similar). Part of the problem is that our waiter came and wanted to take our order immediately, like about one minute after we were seated. Anyone who has eaten out with me knows I have a hard time making up my mind some times, and thats when I know what I'm reading. The waiter came to take our order and would not leave without our drink and food order. I felt very rushed and ended up ordering lamb kebabs. I don't even like lamb, what was I thinking. As it turns out, I missed the page with the chicken and port kebab options. How unfortunate! I'm sure the kebabs were just fine if you like lamb, but they were not sitting well with me. Luckily Bill offered to share, so I had half of his dinner, which we really don't know what it was.
More tomorrow, hugs!

2 comments:

Christa said...

I hope Tuesday comes very soon. I enjoyed catching up for a brief bit. Andrew is still having trouble sleeping, which means so am I :).

MaryRooks said...

I remember Dancing On The Ceiling. I remember all the great hits of the greatest decade for music - the 80s (followed by a close second - the 70s). Hang in there you guys, I know you must be so excited for Tuesday!